February 12, 2014
The purpose of this letter is to inform you of the recommendations the Fayette County School Corporation Board of School Trustees approved on February 11 relative to making up the instructional time lost due to inclement weather. As I am sure you are aware, we have missed ten (10) full school days and had another nine (9) two hour delays resulting in an additional eighteen (18) hours of lost instruction. There is no perfect plan. Every option considered had its own set of pluses and minuses. The primary goal has been to identify the best plan to re-claim lost instructional time prior to the state mandated assessments.
The Board voted and approved the following changes to the school calendar:
· School will be in session on February 17 and April 21. These are the two days built into the calendar.
· School will NOT be in session on February 14 as that will be a Professional Development Day for our teaching staff.
· Beginning February 24 and continuing through April 24 the school day on Monday through Thursday will be extended by one hour. Bus schedules will be adjusted to accommodate the later dismissal. For Connersville High School, the early release Wednesday will become early release Friday.
· School WILL be in session on April 18 (Good Friday).
· Spring Break will be as scheduled in the original calendar (school days March 24-28).
· The last day for students will be May 28, unless we miss more days.
· High school graduation will be moved to June 8.
The Indiana Department of Education has granted local schools the flexibility this year to create schedules as just described to make up lost instructional time. Without this flexibility, we would have been in session through June 4.
We sincerely appreciate your understanding and support of this revised calendar as we work to find ways to provide the instructional time your students deserve.
Dr. Russell E. Hodges
Fayette County Superintendent